Paint Chip Craft - Honeycomb Wall Art

 


I’ve collected a few paint chips over the years when redecorating and they sparked some really creative ideas. This honeycomb design was inspired by the honeybee, and my attempt at making something out of very little. 


I started by grouping together paint chips I had collected for my living room, which were all in a cool grey theme with a mix of greens and oranges to match my throw pillows.



I considered adding a few other colors into the mix to add some variety. I started with a sheet of poster board I purchased from Dollar Tree for 50 cents to use as the canvas.  



Found a few scraps of coordinating cardstock. Some single sheets from craft stores, and some from cardstock pads I purchased when they were half off.   
(I sure collect a lotta glitter!)


 Dollar Tree paper scraps. A rare find.


Cut off the curved edges to line up on the Cricut mat.


Lining up the chips on the Cricut mat, I load them face-down because I feel I get a cleaner cut. When I pull the pieces off, they curve downward a little which makes them lie flatter on my canvas.


Used the Cricut shape options to cut perfect hexagons, and was able to get two cut from each large paint chip. If you don’t have a Cricut, you can print a hexagon on cardstock, use an Exacto knife to cut it out, and use that as a template.

 


Guesstimating how many hexagons you need wasn’t easy, so the surplus cardstock helped a lot to finish the piece. My posterboard was labeled 22x28 (although it was smaller when I measured it). I can't remember how many chips I collected, but the cardstock was the bulk of the design. I had leftover holograph, white snow sparkle, silver chunky glitter and regular glitter cardstock. Those helped!

The tedious part? Placement! I used repositionable glue so I could play with the layout while not losing any pieces if my arm brushed across the surface. Started by measuring the middle across, then down to find the center. Placed my first hexagon there and built outwards. Nothing was measured aside from the middle lines I drew (lightly!) to find the center. Everything else was eyeballed, but you can draw lines if it helps.



I ultimately opted out of the orange and green because that holographic cardstock was plenty “busy” and colorful. 


Coming along. This was taken at 2:29pm  



Took a break an hour later and went to Walmart for a $10 poster frame and to swap out a Christmas gift. Saw this while standing in line, and, of course... now I have to make pillows!
#INSPIRATION is everywhere!


Got home and worked until it was finished. It was 9:45pm, and I’d gotten through four episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale. Whew!





Not bad. I’ll plan better for next time. Maybe a small-scale project for the bathroom? Scales... mermaid scales... Hmmmm...
We shall see!



Go out and craft some HAPPINESS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint Chip Craft - Honeycomb II